To gather evidence of the calls you can take the following steps. They are listed by priority.
1. When convenient (not when driving or in a meeting) answer the calls you believe are from any caller be it a debt collector or a solicitation call (should be the same number or numbers on caller ID) and immediately hang up. You do not have to say anything. Only calls you answer show up on your cell phone bill.
2. Save missed calls and spam texts (calls you do not answer) on your phone and if possible copy them to computer for a backup copy in case your phone gets lost.
3. Get copies of old phone bills from your carrier and email the pdf to me.
4. Print out a call log to document calls that show an unlisted number that you do answer and can determine they came from the same or another collector. CLICK HERE for a call log form.
5. When you speak to them and determine the company tell them in no uncertain terms to stop calling your number.
You do not need to write a cease letter to revoke any consent or trigger treble damages in the TCPA, it can be orally.
6. Immediately after telling them to stop calling (#5 above) send an email to a close friend telling that friend that you spoke to (name of debt collector) on your phone (enumerate your number) and told him/her to stop calling you at that number. This is evidence that you made the call under Federal Rules of Evidence 803(5) recorded recollection.
Call or contact me below with any questions.
DISCLAIMER: The website is designed for general information only. The information presented at this site should not be construed to be formal legal advice and merely advertising nor the formation of a lawyer/client relationship. Persons accessing this site are encouraged to seek legal advice from an attorney regarding their individual legal problem and questions. No attorney-client relationship or protection of any confidential information exists, until a written agreement is signed. Patric Lester is licensed to practice law in the States of California, Missouri and New York. No representations of any other state law but California and Missouri is intended or expressed herein. Supreme Court of Missouri requires: The choice of lawyer is an important decision and should not be based solely upon advertisements.
Copyright © 2016 Patric Lester. All rights reserved.